Monday, January 25, 2010

Isaac's Birthday Party

We celebrated Isaac's birthday this past Saturday with his LEGO party. We did things a little different this year. Usually we invite his friends (who usually come with parents and sometimes siblings) and family. This year we only invited his friends and made it a "drop off- pick up party" That means that Gabe and I were the only ones wrangling a group of 5 and 6 year old boys! (and our 3 year old daughter and our 4 month old son) We survived and lived to tell about it! Actually it was probably the least stressful birthday party to date! I always feel torn and a bit overwhelmed trying to entertain the kids and the adults at the birthday parties. Also, our house isn't getting any bigger and each year the friend invite list does get bigger. (our rule for birthday parties is that they can invite one friend for each year of age - so Isaac invited 6 friends this year) Anyway, for space and sanity reasons we decided to go a different route and it worked out beautifully.

Isaac sitting at the front door waiting for his friends to arrive. He was just a wee bit excited!

Had to show you this picture. Gabe made this poster and the boys got a kick out of it. We told them that if they play with legos too much then this is what happens. The boys thought that was funny.

We started the party with some good ol' outside play time. Nothing special. Just played. The boys played soccer, swung on the swings, climbed and slid down the slide, chased, tagged, and gave wagon rides. You name it, we did it. Gabe and I even got in on a few games of tag. I felt like a kid again!!

Rainey and Isaac

A few of the boys hanging out in the playhouse

Wagon Rides - they were "discussing" who got to pull the wagon

Getting a game of soccer going

The Birthday Boy

Then we came in and had a lego guessing game. I filled this container full of legos and let each child guess how many he/she thought was in the container. There were 95 legos and funny enough Julia got the closest but didn't win because she went over. Her guess was 100!! Cale won with the guess of 40.

Making their guesses

Next we had a Lego racer kit for each child to put together. I was hoping each of the boys were as experienced with Legos as Isaac is and they were. Only a few needed our help. You should have seen their eyes widen when I told them they could take the Lego racers home!! Once all the racers were built we raced them on a ramp that Gabe built. Little boy heaven I must say. They all got a kick out of that. When we were finished racing we had an award ceremony complete with miniature trophies.

I got cookie sheets and labeled as "Building trays". Worked great to keep all the tiny lego pieces together and not mixed up with the other kits.

Isaac in deep concentration

Racing the racers - I do believe this was their favorite part! They high fived the winners and cheered. Great fun

Each child was presented with a Lego Racing Champion trophy - stuffed with candy of course.

Now it was time for cake and gifts. I am sure all the Mom's loved me that day. The boys had their fair share of sugar!! One little boy almost ate an entire bowl of M&Ms before I could stop him!!The cake(s) were shaped like Lego bricks. Besides the dirt mound cake I did for Isaac's Bug party a few years ago, this is probably the next easiest. Here are a few pictures of the making of the cakes.

Caleb was overseeing the cake making process

(Excuse my haggard appearance)
I have made every cake for my kids' birthdays so far. It is something I enjoy doing for them and hope they will have as a special memory when they grow up.



Isaac with his Lego cake(s)

Lighting the Candles

Make a wish, Isaac!

Gift time! I let each boy grab the gift he brought for Isaac and they took turns giving him the gift and watching him open it. It was well controlled chaos. We saved our gift for last, which was a hot wheels dinosaur trick track. The reaction from all of them when Isaac opened it was hilarious. Collective celebration all around. One boy told Isaac "congratulations" and another said "that is the most awesome, great toy I would ever want" It was a hit to say the least!


We ended the party with a pinata and more outside play time. The pinata only lasted through three boys before it broke open. I was hoping everyone would get a turn at it, but I don't think they cared too much when the candy and goodies started flowing. Poor Julia tried her best but only ended up with 2 pieces of candy. She was upset about this and came to tell me so. But as soon as the words were out of her mouth, one little boy turned right around and said, "here you can have some of my candy" then preceded to fill her bag up. How sweet and selfless was that?! I made a point to tell that boy's Mom about it the next day at church. Proud Momma moment.

While we waited for the kids to be picked up they played outside. On their sugar high no less! It had gotten really windy by this time and they all pretended it was a tornado. It was fun watching them create this elaborate story and act it out.

The next day at church we heard from most of the boys' parents that their kids said it was the best party they had ever been too. Ahhhhh........ that means a lot to me. My goal this year was to simplify (aka: easy on the pocket book), have less stress,and make it a fun and enjoyable party for our son. I do believe my goals were accomplished!

I overheard Isaac telling his friends, "This is the most fun time I have ever had" Really, that is all I needed to hear. If he is happy, then I am happy!

One more picture.....

This is one of the goodie bag treats. Cute huh?!


3 comments:

NicoleDesiree85 said...

Cheryl,
You have the most amazing ideas!! I love reading about your kids birthday parties :) Next year I am calling you when I plan my boyfriend's son's party! This year was a football party and it was fun, but I could have used your expertise ;-)

Unknown said...

Great looking cake! And look at you, skinny minnie. You look fabulous!!

Jake said...

wow. great party, cheryl (and gabe!). it looks like it was a wonderful party.