We left the doctor's office and were sitting in line at a stop light when Isaac caught sight of a homeless man holding up his cardboard sign. Without a moments hesitation, Isaac jumped up from his seat, handed me all of his money and said, "See that man Mama? He needs help. Please give him this." And so I did. I made sure to tell the man that my son wanted him to have that money. He thanked us and said, "God bless you"
Isaac didn't say another word about it. Not once did he seek the glory for himself. I simply said, "Isaac that was a very selfless and generous thing to do. Do you know where that came from?" His response, "Yes, Mama that comes from God" Amen and Amen.
I was speechless and awed at the kind act of my 8 year old son, a boy who often gets wrapped up in thinking that everything revolves around him. Not today. Today he followed the prompting of the Holy Spirit and then gave the glory to the Lord.
I could be tempted to "take the glory" by taking credit for my son's selflessness. Instead I follow the example of my precious boy who knew immediately that anything good that comes from us is directly from God.
I love my son more than words can say. I am delighted to see Isaac respond to God in ways that may surprise me, but never surprise HIM.
No comments:
Post a Comment