Ok, ok ... what is this all about? I have had fun giving my Mother a hard time about our "difficulties" getting onto Randolph Air Force Base on Saturday for the Air Show. After loading two kids, fold out chairs, stroller, bag, etc. into the beloved mini van we headed to RAFB. As we were standing in line to get on base we were informed that all adults need government issued picture IDs. Duh!! I don't know why I didn't think to bring one with me. After all we managed to pack and take along, my purse was the last thing I wanted to worry about. Mother did the same thing. So we sent my Dad and Gabe in with the kids and all our stuff after they gave us their pocket knives (oh yeah - no weapons on base either, Duh again). Mom and I headed back through the maze of cars and people, to my house, and returned to stand in a long line of people waiting to get checked in. Finally it was our turn. Mom gives them her ID and there is a problem. The scanner kept beeping every time they scanned her ID. The man looked up and simply said, "Do you have a credit card to verify for identification?" What?! That would mean going all the way back to the house AGAIN!!! We started giggling - making the best out of a bad situation. Secret Agent Grammy was busted!!! Ha - I could just imagine ten soldiers surrounding her and giving her the pat down. Hilarious!! My ID was fine but they didn't trust the contents of my backpack(water bottles and crackers are a high threat I guess). The rule was if it wasn't a "diaper bag" then we couldn't take it in. UGH! So I head off to take the backpack all the way back to the van as I call back to Mom, "what am I going to do with Julia's diapers?" "Oh, diapers you say? - Ok you can take it in" Phew! Then came the "wand". Guess whose pocket set off the wand? Yep - Secret Agent Grammy with her spy gear (AKA: cell phone) FINALLY we were cleared to enter the military base. What a fiasco!
The day was beautiful (could have asked for a few more clouds - got a little sizzley later in the day) All my Mom wanted all day was her umbrella for shade and that was in her purse, the one she didn't bring. Yes, the one with all her identification in it. Should have just brought the purse Mom!! We (well let me say the boys) explored all the planes and helicopters and we even had a picnic under the wing of a fighter plane. My Dad was loving every minute of the Air Show. This kind of thing is right down his ally. Gabe was just as enthralled. Isaac was as well for parts, but cared more about the jumping castles and ice cream. Can't blame him - he is only 3!
The weekend was a lot of fun with my parents or as they are called by Isaac and Julia, Grammy and Granddaddy. Julia calls my Dad, "Daddy". So cute! She was Granddaddy's little girl this weekend and fussed when she was away from him. I love that my parents are free to come visit now that my Dad has retired. What a blessing!
Here are the rest of the pictures from the weekend. Enjoy!!


2 comments:
That story was so funny. It sounds like something that would happen to me!
I agree! That is hilarious! Of course, I heard it first by Cheryl on the phone, but reading it a second time is just as funny!! And that's usually how it goes....you plan and plan and plan and still things like that will happen!!
Post a Comment