I think they are going to revoke my blogger card. It has been months since my last post. What a slacker!!!! No really, it has just been crazy busy around here and to be completely honest I just haven't had the motivation to blog lately. But we are still alive and kickin'! Here is a super quick update on life at the Landes house.....
*Homeschool - We are beginning week 23 today! We are beyond the half way mark for this school year and that feels so good! I am proud of myself for staying on schedule this time around. I feel like we have learned a lot and gotten tons accomplished. So much so, that I am starting to add a few new topics to our weekly learning because the kids are doing so well in the others. MFW has led us through early American history. We are currently studying the pioneers that moved west. My favorite part of this is that we get to read the Little House series!!! We are required to read Farmer Boy and On the Banks of Plum Creek, but I decided to buy the whole set and go through all of the books. So far we have read Farmer Boy and Little House in the Big Woods. Tomorrow we will start Little House on the Prairie. The kids and I have enjoyed all the projects that go along with the books. Last week we made maple candy from scratch and this week they will begin a very basic quilting project. Up ahead we will be making covered wagons, fruit leather, and saddle snacks as we read about Laura and her family moving to the Prairie. I have really enjoyed this year's MFW curriculum and am looking forward to next year which is a study of Countries and Cultures. One major change we made after the holidays was our daily schedule. Before we would do school in the morning and have the afternoon for chores, errands, and play. Due to many stresses (Caleb's distractions, things undone around the house - drives me crazy, etc.), we decided to have chore/play time in the morning and start school at noon. Has worked marvelously!!! Amazing how such a simple change can make such a huge difference in our day.
Potty Training - My last post was about "Captain Underpants". We are still on the road to having Caleb fully potty trained. He kind of goes through phases..... he does well, I think we have this licked, then he gets sick and we start all over. Potty training requires a load of patience!!
Health - I haven't posted about my health in a long time. The symptoms that have been plaguing me for a year and a half suddenly disappeared for about 4 months between Sept. and Dec. What a relief to have a break from the cycle! However, the break ended in Jan. and my body seems to be making up for lost time. I have been very sick every two weeks since then. So back to the doctors I went. I have had my thyroid levels and allergies checked which both came back normal. Now I am having my hormone levels checked. My general doctor has taken my case to a friend of his that is an Infectious Disease doctor. I have orders to go see this doctor as soon as my next episode hits. If you only knew what I experience when it hits, you would know that the thought of going anywhere while sick is a bit daunting, but I need to do what I need to do to figure this out. It has been suggested that I might be experiencing CVS - cyclical vomiting syndrome. If you follow the link and read through the symptoms it is EXACTLY what I have been experiencing. CVS is associated with abdominal migraines and being a person who has suffered with migraines for years, this is a possibility. So in the meantime I am cutting out any foods that may be a trigger and trying to stay as stress free as possible (ha!). However, neither CVS or the abdominal migraines explains the joint/muscle pain, so who knows! Still a mystery.
Birthdays - Isaac turned 8 on January 14th! (pics to come) Can you believe it? I barely can. Right around the corner I will be 35. Gulp!! Julia will be 6 in April, Caleb 3 in Sept. and drumroll please.......... Gabe will be 40 in Sept. Phew! That's a big year for birthdays. I better get to planning now!!!!
That is all I have time to update you on for now. I will try to make my blog more of a priority. I don't want to miss journaling all the funny things my kids say and do.

No comments:
Post a Comment