I don't want to be one of those women that grumble through pregnancy, but I feel I have reached that point. This pregnancy has been super hard on my body, way more than my previous three pregnancies. I have had extreme tailbone and pelvic pain the last half of the pregnancy. So much so that it feels like my bones are breaking. It hurts to walk, sit, lie down, stand... basically it hurts all the time no matter what. Makes for taking care of three other children and our home very difficult some days. And it also makes for a lot of sleepless nights. That's the main difficulty with this pregnancy on top of all the normal aches and pains. With all that said, I have never been more ready to go into labor. I am beyond ready to meet this little guy face to face and hold his sweet warmth in my arms.
I went in for my 36 week check up a few days ago. All is well with our baby boy. His heartbeat was strong, he is head down, and I have started to efface. All those intense Braxton Hicks must be helping things along a little. It is back to the doctor every week from now on.
I am slowly but surely getting things in order for his arrival. Other than buying more diapers, I have finally gotten all of the "things" I needed. I just have some organizing, cleaning, and packing of hospital bags to do now. As slow as I have been moving lately, it may take me 4 more weeks to get those simple things done.
Some Pregnancy Funnies:
So as I mentioned above, I have not been getting much quality sleep lately. On top of being in pain most of the time, I am also sleep deprived. Which for me, is a bad combination. I am naturally a very emotional person. Add to that a lack of sleep and there just might be trouble. Last week I went to Wal-Mart for a few things, one of which was a small fan to put near the crib as white noise. Here we are in Texas where in late October the temps are still hovering around the 90's and there is not a fan to be found anywhere, only heaters. Really? Well, this particular day I was tired (as usual) and frustrated with my bickering kids as I hunted the aisles of Wal-Mart in search of a fan. (side note: in general I really don't like Wal-Mart. I never can find what I am looking for and always leave frustrated) So when I can't find the fan I ask a worker. The answer is no, they don't have any fans in the store and won't stock them again until next Spring. I have to admit that I was not a very nice person in that moment. I may have said something like (very sarcastically) "Are you kidding me? You do know we live in Texas right? It's 90+ degrees outside as we speak" Yeah, not my shining moment. After we got home and I "cooled" off, I felt bad for being such a brat to an innocent Wal-Mart employee. Later that same night as I was sweeping the floors, I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be nice if someone invented something that would suck this mess right up so I wouldn't have to bend over to sweep it into the dustpan?" Wait for it..... that's what you call truly sleep deprived. I laughed at myself and realized how much I really need to sleep soundly for an extended amount of time. Which in reality may not be for another 5 months or more. This isn't my first rodeo. I know I will make it through on very little sleep but to go into the newborn phase well rested would be a huge blessing.
Oh and by the way, if you see me out and about and feel inclined to comment on my size... DON'T. With every single pregnancy I have always gotten less than positive comments as I near the end. And I always tell myself "This time I won't let them get to me" But it does. Pregnancy is a beautiful thing, no matter who you are or how you carry your baby. However, when it is your body going through extreme changes and all you hear is "Your HUGE" and "Are you sure it isn't twins?" it gets a little wearisome. Almost to the point where I don't want to go to church or out in public in general because I am tired of hearing it. Yes, I know how big I am. You don't have to point it out. Thanks.
I was venting about this to my husband a few days ago and shortly after that he wrote this post on his FB wall.
WARNING!!! If you happen to encounter my very pregnant wife (yes, pregnant has superlative!) and you don't wish to see unusual amounts of the whites of her eye or possibly be punched with car-keys, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT HER SIZE! Do not ask if she is over-due. Do not ask if she is having twins. Do not make comments approximating her size to anything larger than a turnip!
"You're Huge!" is not an acceptable comment to be made to any woman, much less an uncomfortable, hormonally unstable, pregnant one. In the later case it may even be life threatening! Please consider instead the following suggestions: "Oh my how beautiful you are!", "Oh, I barely noticed" and "Would you like another scoop of chocolate ice-cream?".
To recap:
"My how you light up the room!" - GOOD
"Dear Lord, you've blotted out the sun!" - BAD
Your cooperation is appreciated! That is all.
I am blessed to be married to a very funny man. Today at church I got a lot of positive comments and we all had a good laugh about Gabe's post and the rather stupid things people say to pregnant women in general. One of our friends walked up to me today and said, "Oh my, have you lost weight?" It sure was a much more enjoyable time at church today than it has been lately.... thanks to my husband!
I will leave you with some 36 weeks pictures taken with my cell phone by my 8 year old son. And a picture of the blanket my Mama crocheted for Benjamin. Isn't it beautiful?! Can't wait to wrap his little body up in this blanket. Officially 28 days to the due date!



No comments:
Post a Comment