Friday, January 28, 2011

Karate

Any sports or activities we have tried with Isaac so far has been less about the sport and more about character building. We tried soccer with him last spring to help him get over some fears and anxieties. It helped but he didn't really like soccer. He didn't like the noise, the chaos, or the crowds. He has pretty much written off team sports for now. One of Isaac's biggest challenges, is trying something new. He has a fear of the unknown. (don't we all in some form or fashion?!)



For awhile I have been thinking about finding a Christian Martial Arts program for him. Karate is full of character building. It is structured and very disciplined, just what Isaac needs. Recently a man who attends our church started a karate class that meets at NEBC twice a week. We signed Isaac up. To say it simply, Isaac was terrified and very reluctant about going. He was even mad at Gabe and I for not giving him the choice. Isaac is the type of kid that if we don't push him to try new things, then he won't. So Gabe and I made up our mind that he was going to do this whether he liked it or not. Tough love, huh?

 


Well, we are now nearing the end of the first month of his karate lessons and he is warming up to it. Just this week he has finally started to take ownership of this and make it his own. Before he left for his lesson last night I had him pretend to the be the teacher and teach me a few things. Amazing what a person can remember when the roles are reversed. He LOVED being the teacher! That may be a way I can get him to practice some at home!
 

I truly believe this will be good for Isaac to step out of his comfort zone and learn something new. The atmosphere is emotionally safe for him which is very important for Isaac. The instructors handle them with patience and firm but gentle discipline. He is learning about self control, listening, memorizing, persistence, and hard work. Not to mention the physical strength and agility he is gaining. Overall, it was a good decision to put him in karate even if he was mad at us for a few weeks!

UPDATE: So on Saturday Isaac decides to teach Julia karate. She obliges. Later that day Julia tells me that when Isaac was teaching her karate she got a little silly and he made her do 10 push-ups! I am sure his karate instructors would get a laugh out of that! 

1 comment:

Chattyb said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha ....... I laughed til I cried. I can just see that. Honestly, Cheryl, you should write a book.