Last September, I started on a quest with Isaac to teach him to read. He had the basics down, but it was time to step it up a notch. I got this book, Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons. It is written for parents to do with their children and the lessons only take about 20-30 minutes a day. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical at first because the lessons seemed tedious, but that fact and the repetitive nature really works for Isaac. Little by little he built upon his reading skills and finally after a year of trying to complete that book (obviously it took longer than 100 days for us to finish this book), Isaac completed lesson 100 last week. It hasn't always been easy... he struggled through some of the lessons, but that is how he deals with learning something (anything) new. After all his hard work, he is now a really great reader. The book said that when the child completes the book, then he/she will be reading at a second grade level. I am not sure Isaac is quite that.... but who knows, maybe he is. What matters is that he is reading and we are all proud of his hard work.
1 comment:
I have used that same curriculum with all my kids! Love it! Way to go, Isaac.
Post a Comment