Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Draw. Write. Now.

Up until recently, my kids have been still drawing stick figures for everything. Not that that is bad, but I was feeling like they needed to be exposed to other ways of drawing objects. Simply said, their drawing needed some help. I saw this set of books and thought this would be a fun supplement to our summer home school curriculum. And I was right! We go through each drawing together as I describe the steps. Then they are free to add their own backgrounds. For most of the drawings they copy the sentences from the book, but sometimes they make up their own story. We also read the books suggested to enrich the learning experience.

Julia has always loved art, all forms. As soon as she could hold a pencil or crayon when she was a baby, she was drawing. We even threw her an art party when she turned 2. Julia just has a natural bent towards all things art. I am sure she thinks these drawing books were heaven sent. I will often find her flipping through the books drawing almost everything she can, even the stuff in Book 8, which is much harder. She has stacks and stacks of drawings that are like her prized possessions. Here are a few of the drawings Julia wanted to show...




Isaac has also enjoyed the books, but it is much more of a challenge for him. Not because he can't draw, but because he is too hard on himself. He wants it to be perfect. But once he gets past that, he comes up with some great drawings and I have even caught him skipping ahead drawing more elaborate things.  Here are a few of the drawings Isaac wanted to show...



And what is Mr. Caleb doing during this time? He is watching his big brother and sister intently. He now wants his own paper and pencil to draw with.



No comments: